Wednesday, September 23, 2020

 Over the years I have had different memories and experiences on September 11.

Sept. 12, 2001 – Massachusetts 

The previous day I watched in disbelief. On my way to the church office I decided to purchase some apple juice. No doubt my thoughts were still on the previous days’ events, so I did not pay attention to what the group of young men were yelling in my direction. On my way back to my car the group of young men attacked me. No doubt they believed I looked like what they took to be an Arab Terrorist. No doubt they were angry after the previous days’ events. For the next few months I was clean shaven, so I did not look Middle Eastern.

 

Ideally, I would like to report that I fought furiously, but in truth the only thing that saved me was my liberal use of the “F Word”, and my questioning their parentage in my best New York City Street Style. It was obvious I was another angry American. In time I understood what those young men were feeling and how they chose to relieve those feelings.

 

Sept. 12, 2005 – Houston 

Katrina had struck on August 31. Houston had taken in over 100,000 evacuees from New Orleans. Our shelter spaces (George R. Brown Arena, Reliant Stadium and the Astrodome) were filled to capacity. Houstonians had volunteered to assist in the shelters, those from the various congregations staffed most of the shelters. Typically, I would spend 8 to 12-hour shifts in the shelters, return to the church office for a few hours, then go home for a few hours of sleep. We were physically and mentally exhausted. 

September 12, 2005 was the first Sunday since the 9/11/01 and the various Houston Moslem communities took over all the volunteer staffing in all the shelters. This, we were told, would permit the volunteers to return to their churches and families, so they could relax, refresh and reflect in prayer. For me, it introduced me to the Sufi community in Houston which deepened my understanding of human kindness and dedication. It also put to rest some of the anger I had been carrying since 9/11 and 9/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment